ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMme
The Karman Fellowship Programme is a one-year leadership programme designed to foster trust, independent dialogue and cooperation between 15 selected Karman Fellows who are below the age of 45 and have achieved outstanding accomplishments in space. Over the course of the Programme, Fellows strengthen personal relations, meet with global leaders in technology, science, business, politics and the arts, and take personal commitments to further advance space-related agendas for the betterment of humanity.
Karman Fellows are entrepreneurs, industry leaders, educators, artists and ecosystem builders - and as such, the Programme is designed to respect their busy schedules.
The activities of the Fellowship Programme are designed to facilitate personal engagement, trust-building, inspiration and most importantly, impact. We connect the Karman Fellows with leaders, trailblazers and industry experts - leveraging the varied learnings and experiences of our professionally, culturally, discipline-rich community for ongoing personal and professional development.
We aim to:
- Accelerate the Karman Fellows' acquaintance with key decision-makers in space and adjacent industries on a professional and personal level;
- Facilitate the opportunity for the Karman Fellows to educate one another on their sectors and regions;
- Provide a safe and confidential forum for topical discussion (all exchanges abide by Chatham House Rules);
- Encourage the Karman Fellows to tackle key agendas in space and explore strategies to address these agendas; and
- Maximise the Karman Fellows’ impact through leadership development.
Key Activities & Dates
Fellows participating in the Programme will engage in regular activities (conducted under Chatham House Rules), such as:
- Karman Week & Annual Gala Dinner: The flagship event of the foundation, Karman Week gathers global leaders in tech, science, business, politics and the arts for a series of social activities, strategic discussions, workshops and fun. The four-day event culminates in the foundation’s annual invite-only Gala Dinner, where Fellows are invited to present their commitments and strategic understanding for the next 5-10 years to key decision-makers in space and adjacent industries.
- Karman Mentorship Programme: Karman Fellows are matched with senior Karman Community members according to needs, challenges and interests, including members from our Selection and Advisory Boards, Fellowship Alumni and Keynote Speakers from Karman Week.
- Karman Agendas & Commitments: Karman Fellows work independently or in small groups according to their passions and expertise to explore critical global issues that space can contribute to solving and/or challenges that exist within the space sector (‘Karman Agendas’). Fellows are supported in taking viable, tangible and achievable personal commitments to further advance these agendas within an agreed timeframe. The Karman Community assists in mobilising support, ideas and resources, whilst Fellows are encouraged to take their Agendas and Commitments back to their own networks and communities to maximise their impact. You can explore the Agendas and Commitments of the 2020 Karman Fellows here.
- ‘Speed Dating’ Sessions: Members of our Karman Community, including Fellows from the previous years, connect with the simple objective to get to know one another better on both a personal and professional level.
- Space^10: Karman Fellows may optionally contribute to the development and authorship of Space^10 - our annual artistic and science-fiction inspired publication co-created with invited artists that explores space scenarios in ten years’ time.
Given the global nature of our community the majority of events are conducted online, except for Karman Week (including the Gala Dinner), which changes location each year and is planned to be held in Europe during 2021 (COVID-19 safety permitting). Karman Week 2021 is tentatively scheduled for 9-12 September 2021 (with arrival on 8 September 2021).
FELLOWSHIP SELECTION & CRITERIA
Our Selection Board consists of highly respected and successful professionals who represent a fine intersection of disciplines, industries and cultures. In the course of curating the group of 15 Karman Fellows, our Selection Board discusses each short-listed candidate in reference to five Selection Criteria.
In order to be considered for the Karman Fellowship Programme, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged 45 years or younger (as at the application deadline of 20 March 2021).
- Complete both the short website application form and the video submission (this will be requested by the Karman Team upon completion of the website application).
- Exceptional professional achievement and impact in space or a space-related field.
- Track record of successful cooperations or projects (ideally cross-border or cross-disciplinary).
- Demonstrated strategic thinking in relation to critical global issues that space can contribute to solving and/or challenges that exist within the space sector.
- Motivation to join the Karman Fellowship Programme and the Karman Community (including potential future contribution).
- Complementary potential in relation to other Fellowship candidates (e.g. diverse representation of nationalities, sectors and disciplines among Fellowship cohort).
- Candidates to express interest in applying by completing the short Application Form here.
- Candidates are invited via email to submit a short 5 minute video submission (with some supporting materials) about their background and motivation to join the Fellowship Programme with reference to the Selection Criteria.
- Karman Team, Chairman and selected representatives from our Board of Directors review video submissions and shortlist 50 candidates to be presented to the Selection Board.
- Selection Board convenes for review of 50 shortlisted candidates and selects 15 Karman Fellows to whom a place in the Fellowship Programme will be offered.
Key Dates for Fellowship Application
20 January 2021: Website applications open.
20 January - 20 March 2021: Upon receipt of website application, Karman Team validates candidate eligibility and candidates invited via email to submit short video and supporting materials (to be submitted within two weeks of eligibility validation by Karman Team).
20 March 2021: Website applications close and video submissions due (note: recommended earlier submission of website application to ensure time for video submission).
20 - 27 March 2021: Karman Team finalises shortlisted Top 50 candidates.
27 March 2021: Shortlisted candidates selected and Selection Board informed. Shortlisted and unsuccessful candidates informed.
10 April 2021: Selection Day (Selection Board convenes and 15 candidates selected for place in 2021 Fellowship Programme).
Week beginning 12 April 2021: 15 successful candidates offered place in 2021 Fellowship Programme and unsuccessful candidates receive feedback.